Author Topic: Skiach Services  (Read 193 times)

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
Skiach Services
« on: July 20, 2019, 21:32:59 PM »
I saw this evening that there had been a fatal road traffic accident near Skiach services.
I have no wish to explore the specifics of today's tragedy but I felt a cold shiver at the location.
For those not familiar a few miles north of the Cromarty bridge there is a north bound turn off into a small industrial area with a petrol station.
The road is the A9 and it is simple two lane road at this area.
Any South bound traffic wanting to use the services has to cross the North bound traffic.
Worse still any South bound vehicle using the services has to cross the North bound and join the potentially fast flowing Southbound.
Conversely the A9 is know for traffic queues. Whilst you wait to cross the long queue if North bound traffic, your South bound lane is probably empty.
The North bound traffic clears ,but ko and behold a South bound convoy has arrived.
Patience is tested.
You get the picture.
I don't know what our Inverness area folks think but for me it is a death trap.

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
Re: Skiach Services
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
Just one of many similar junctions.  Hateful road, at least until you get north of Dornoch when the traffic seems to thin somewhat.
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline lowflyer

• It's cold up here !!!
Re: Skiach Services
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 19:56:26 PM »
The one I hate, and always ease off for is heading south at the Munlochy turnoff on the A9.
There is always someone hovering on the junction line coming from Inverness to Munlochy, bloody hate it.
Depending on the time of day, it can be quite deceiving.
Another one is the turn off for Tain heading North  :(
Greenest Africa Twin
BMW 1200 GS Adventure
BMW R80