Author Topic: Preparations for another longish trip  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Steve T

• Founding Member
  • Compulsive Farkler, but still learning from LWR ;-
Re: Preparations for another longish trip
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 18:49:40 PM »
Looks absolutly horrific, all that scenery to be looked at but you can't, cos some nutter has strung out loads & loads of bends in your way  ;D

Stay safe, keep smiling and thanks for sharing  ;)

Steve T

8)
"A bad writer wastes time. A good writer bends time"

Dan Walsh

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 21:44:34 PM »
Yeah, getting some wear on the sides of the tyres as well as the middle.  Heading for Argentinian wine country tomorrow (Mendoza)- today have passed through several villages that reminded me of France 30 years ago.  Very pleasant.  Will try to post another pic tomorrow...

Yesterday terrifying in parts - had to ride through a pretty  violent electrical storm.
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 20:03:31 PM »
Coming down to Puerto Puyuhuapi in Patagonia in the pissing rain yesterday (Goretex schmortex...) we came across a two couples on Triumphs, one of which had a flat.  Silly bugger had ridden too far on it and the tyre had unseated jtself.  Gawd knows how they fixed it, bike didn't seem to have a centre stand ( that can't be right).  Anyway, I rode on after they declined our offer of help thinking glad I fitted a tough Mitas, not a silly Pirelli Scorpion only to find a screw in my rear tyre today.  Rats!  Where I am makes Campbeltown look like a major city on Glasgow's doorstep.  Anyway, fixed with a string thing, hope it holds, start the run north back to Santiago tomorrow.

p1050517-resized-1280 by Richard Jones, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 20:16:42 PM by Three Dawg »
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline LargeWayRound

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner / Transalp Modifier / Founding Member
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »
Oh my ...  better than rainy Aberdeen thats for sure
Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 23:53:34 PM »
It occurs to me, having enjoyed the ups and downs of Patagonian weather recently, that I got my riding gear choices slightly wrong.  My gear leaks - Furygan suit, Richa gloves, but not my Sidi Adventure boots ;D.  Goretex is bollox - you're not a sweaty cyclist on a bike, so it's a waste of money.  My mate's hyper expensive Rukka kit even gave up the ghost.

What to do?  Leave the linings for the jacket and trews at home, take along a thicker base layer instead and a proofed nylon oversuit to keep the rain out.  I have a Richa unlined jacket which has proved itself in Scotland (NRS last year!) and I will add the strides as soon as I get home.

Gloves?  Well Mrs 3D wants my old Rukka overmitts, but I think you just have to put up with wet hands after 3 or more hours. 

Anyway, heading north again day after tomorrow after dipping into Argentina once more, forecast looks good
Pic is from a ferry heading to Hornopiren yesterday.  Has to be one of the best in the world - 3 1/2 hours sliding through this scenery very relaxing.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 00:03:50 AM by Three Dawg »

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 22:05:34 PM »
Well that's it.  Put the GS on a pallet and wrapped it up today ready for the flight home. In 34 degree heat :o.  We're off tomorrow.  What a blast that was, report to follow, but I have a few pics to sort.

Bike ran perfectly but needs a service after 6000 miles.  Won't need much and then we'll be ready for the next one. :D

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 22:09:56 PM »
 :o
All hail Three Dawg !!
Hope the flights are on time ,!

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 22:48:02 PM »
Ah, it's not too difficult to do this, although obviously the roads can be tricky at times, but that's part of the fun!  Shipping the bike is straightforward, but only makes financial sense if you are on a longer trip.

Flight is tomorrow afternoon. 15 hours to LHR then a long wait for the next leg to Inverness. ::)

Offline LargeWayRound

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner / Transalp Modifier / Founding Member
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 22:50:32 PM »
Well Done , can't wait for the report .

Safe Flight Home  :)
Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2019, 02:37:02 AM »
Ta.  It'll be here first!  Four of us taking pictures, there are bound to be one or two that are ok.