Posts by Three Dawg

Can you post up on here where and when you fix the meet, might be able to slide over to the Isle (daytime only, that road is lethal at night, even with my lights) on Saturday.

Maybe split the difference at the Cluanie?

They'd still do dumb things. For the second time in two years we've had an articulated truck stuck at the bottom of our narrow and steep lane (no exit). You can easily see from the top of the brae that it goes nowhere, but they still drive down, and then need to be towed out. The verges are trashed, there's burnt rubber everywhere! Morons.

Victim of it's own success. The Venice of the North perhaps?^^

Time an time again though it's complaints about campervans that I hear from our guests who live over on the west coast. I have no idea what you do about them - you can't measure each one at the beginning of a stretch of single track and turn around the big 'uns.

And bikes are vulnerable - if I lived in Tomintoul I'd be quite happy not to have wankers with loud pipes blasting off down the high street of a Sunday afternoon. A village lobbies hard enough and suddenly European-style bans on bikes on certain roads at the weekend start creeping in...

Sorry for your loss. On the upside I hear that things are quite quiet over there on Skye (relatively), so a good time to explore the isle.

Ha, I saw quite a few worried faces peering out of oversized campervans on the Drumbeg road when we were up there recently. That is one narrow twisty piece of tarmac!

The NC500 should not really go anywhere near Lochinver. Or Applecross.

I don't know what the solution is, apart from everyone taking some personal responsibility and being considerate to others. I think campsite capacity is only part of the problem - I think van owners like to save money by not paying. The Highland council initiative is good, hopefully it will not impact on the revenue stream of campsite owners.

It's not just gits in campervans - I was not impressed by some of the creaky old gadgies who were roaring off down Tomintoul high street on their bikes last Sunday, would piss me off mightily if I lived there.

A very famous pass in South Africa has been closed recently (The Old Postal Road in the Cederberg, Western Cape) because of the actions of some idiot bike riders - the farmers who own the road are sick and tired of having people blasting through their property with no regard for livestock, dogs and children. And it's not the only one - anyone following Itchy Boots recently will have seen another road permanently closed with a new gate opened by a code (Naughty Noraly squeezed through anyway...)

It is very easy find yourself being banned or at least unwelcome. Plenty of routes in Europe closed to bikes at the weekend. As usual it's the irresponsible few.

Yeah, we litter pick when we go out for our daily walk. We have a sort of pick up stick so we don't have to touch anything. Masks, millions of Costa cups and Red Bull cans, Macdonalds crap. Can often fill a carrier bag on a 40 minute walk. That's just general crap thrown by van drivers and yoofs, but when you have rich campervan drivers opening their waste taps in ditches...

And will someone PLEASE explain to me about the dog shit bag thing..?

This from the North Coast 500 Everything Faceberk group that Mrs 3D follows:

THE UGLY TRUTH.

I’m sorry for this post but it is absolutely necessary, and it’s my responsibility as someone who promotes the west coast of Scotland, to make you aware of this situation.

I’ve taken so many photos over the weekend that I’ve yet to share. Why have I not? Because I’m struggling. I’m struggling with what I’ve witnessed here in Arisaig and Morar.

The 37 caravans and motorhomes parked on the fragile machair at the roadside of Traigh yesterday. The dozens of cars and campervans parked so badly at the GREY sands of Morar, obstructing traffic and not having a care in the world about anyone other than themselves.

The dirty, dirty campers defecating on the beach, in front of people who have looked forward to staying in this picturesque part of the world for two years. They came to walk the silver sands of Morar and they look nothing like what they had known or imagined. There are tents everywhere and our neighbour bumped into a female on the beach at the weekend and totally unashamedly she said, Oh I’m just off down the beach to have a poo. 😳 It is an absolute disgrace.

The lack of disrespect and the ignorance shown by these visitors to not only the beautiful landscape here, but to the people who live here, is abhorrent. Public toilets have been put in place at Traigh, thanks to local crowdfunding, and now the person who cleaned these facilities has resigned because they couldn’t tolerate the abuse any more.

There are 32 burnt areas of grassland at the verge of these beautiful beaches. The legislation from the Scottish government does not prohibit fires and so the ignoramuses think it’s ok to do it. People are taking down local crofters’ fence posts to burn so they can have a fire on the beach.

I have spent most of today speaking to Police Scotland and to the Highland Council. They are trying to do what they can to control the situation, but until people stop turning up unplanned like this, and the Scottish Government steps in and listens to the changes needed to the legislation, this picturesque area will be ruined.

This wouldn’t be necessary if people behaved with decency. If campsites are full, you don’t just turn up and obstruct roads by parking where you want to park. You go somewhere else. If you want to wild camp, you don’t do so by the roadside. You climb a hill far away from anyone. You take away absolutely everything with you. You don’t throw a disposable bbq, which hasn’t been properly distinguished, in a public bin and subsequently set it on fire.

I understand how badly people want to go on holiday, how badly they want to be somewhere beautiful like this. What I don’t understand is this kind of shocking behaviour. It is not your right to roam wherever you want. It is not your right to make local residents lives a misery.

So, if I don’t give the exact location of where I am, there is very good reason. There are very few hidden gems left in this part of the world and we don’t need a megaphone to tell everyone exactly where they are.

Explore only with respect for others and for the local area. If you don’t agree, please find another page to follow, as you are not welcome here. To everyone else, I’m sorry to have to share this with you. Scotland has always been one of the most beautiful countries in the world and with your respect, will remain so. 💙

Sent from my iPhone

Well Avios bookings are fully flexible even in normal times. It's having to send the bike away five weeks ahead of time that might cause a problem -I really don't want to spend any time locked in a crappy airport hotel on Bath Road

So there I am, idly looking on ba.com for Avios flights to Cape Town, when two irresistable seats pop up. Next thing I've booked to go at the beginning of November for six weeks! =O

Plan is to go up to Namibia (see Itchy Boots recent output to get an idea) and maybe dip a toe in Angola if possible.

Lots of unknowns at the moment: flying the bike is very expensive right now, so would have to go seafreight meaning the bike might be gone and we can't go, don't want to spend ££££ on a quarantine hotel so SA would have to come off the red list, might get stuck in a country unable to get out, etc etc. But hey, life on the edge eh?

Think I need to dig out all my camping gear - cheap to camp at fancy lodges and so much fun! Yip yip!