Posts by JimRidesThis!

Because I had the engine out to repair an oil leak, I left my XL600R off my insurance last year. The engine's all sorted, but typically I now have need of the XL as I'm marshaling at the Northern Classic Trial in February. It's a rare opportunity to tool about the forests of the Lake District ;)

The upshot is that over the last couple of days I've been trying to get insurance for the XL. The company my TDM is insured with - Motorcycle Direct - wanted another £90 to put it on with the TDM (for the six remaining months) and even then would only insure it 3rd Party! Not sure why.

I eventually got a new policy. Fully comp with 0 yrs no claims ('cos they're tied up with the TDM policy) with Adrian Flux for £85 including legal expenses upgrade (usually another £30 with other companies).

I guess it helps that I'm an old fart and the bike is 32 years old, but I was pleasantly surprised by the price and their service.

Good luck with Carole Nash. They did the same with me this year and surprisingly would only budge a fiver when I phoned them up. I'd been with them for a few years but have had to phone them every year to get a decent price. I went with Motorcycle Direct at 2/3rds the price (actually the same insurer, Zenith). It seems that all the brokers rely on the convenience of renewal over searching for quotes, etc. Loyalty seems to mean nothing but 'Meal Ticket'.

:o Jim you're losing it mate, fair enough no fuel in tank , but no tank on bike ;D ;D ;D

I think you're right Baz, I'm losing it totally ;D. Yesterday must've been a red letter day in that respect because not content with the XL fiasco, I also put a holding deposit down on a Buell Ulysses. In my defence, I've got to say the shop offered me a very decent trade in on the TDM. I just phoned to retrieve my deposit and cancel the deal. I realised that as much as I'd like a Ully, the TDM is still a better bike for me. Perhaps there's hope for me yet.

Don't worry Jim, it's an age thing. ;) At least you did not call someone to help you. :)

Andy.

Yeah!... though I probably wouldn't have 'fessed up' if that'd been the case :o

Right. Now I'm going out for a ride. I just need to check I've put trousers on today ;D

Sometimes I amaze myself with my sheer stupidity. :D

For the past 6 months I've had the engine out of my XL600R, 'Tamworth', to cure a couple of oil leaks left over from the original build. Today was the day to fire the beast up again, the final jobs were to put the exhaust back on and fill it with oil. That done I kicked it over a few times, ignition off, to distribute the oil and make sure there were no odd noises. Everything checked out okay. Ignition on, bring it over TDC and kick. Nothing, not even a cough. It only took me five minutes of further kicking to remember that putting the fuel tank back on might be a good idea! It started first kick after that and sounded as sweet as a nut :D :D :D

Does it nip anyone else's heid when folk call the Bealach Na Ba the "Applecross Pass" or have I just got terrible OCD?

I don't mind what people call it, just as long as they're not there when I'm riding the pass, sorry,
    "a 'bhealaich" :)

After crossing the Bealach Na Ba miss out the Applecross Inn, head for the Bealach Na Gaoithe and check out the Gille Brighde for a change of lunch stop, a great bit of road that is missed out by a lot of people doing the Applecross loop.

Gille Brighde at Diabaig? Or is there another one?

I can't stand the bloke since our 'Pyrenean Adventure' in July

He is full of bullshit and broken promises even though he is obviously a well travelled person

scotsy ::)

That is how he comes across in the book of his I bought.

Lol hi Jim, heedsbursting at the minute, what to go for, like you love a twin, but the lure of a triple .... :o ;D

Ah cylinder lust Baz. You'll end up with one of those 6 pot BMW's if you're not careful!

It's not really a big problem Craig. The forum's great as it is and I appreciate the time and energy that you must've put in to set the thing up in the first place.

Well, from 6 miles south of the border ADVScotland is looking good to me :)

I've only dipped a digital toe into ABR once and didn't like the interface or the banter. I don't like the print magazine either for the same reason, plus the normal 'you must wear this, watch this, rides this, buy this' nonsense. The same old, same old. I'm not that taken with BigTrailie (aka xrv.org Mk2). As I'm not on that often it does seem a cliquey even though I know many of the folk. They also had a bit of an issue between personalities there I understand. I still visit xrv.org occasionally (though less and less) but spend most of my time here (because my riding is firmly focussed in Scotland) or on ADVrider (for the wider international perspective).

My only gripe (and that's way too strong a word) is that I view the forum most often on my iPad and the forum software or set-up has the strange vice of cropping the width of pictures rather than resizing them to fit which other forums do. You can always scroll across to get the other bit of the picture but it'd be nice to see the whole thing in one sitting. Not sure if anyone else has this 'problem' and as I said, it's a very minor issue. You're doing a great job.

Cheers for that Steve, very interesting assessment. I've ridden a 950 for a fair few miles and loved the engine. On road, the front end felt vague compared to the 1100GS and the whole thing a bit 'floaty'. I believe a 19" front is a fairly common mod for the 9xx Adventures. Off road it was brilliant though, very confidence inspiring and easy to ride fast. Mind, the GS wasn't too shabby off road either, more stable than my AT. I might look closely at an SM-T next year, I'm not willing to shell out the necessary on one of the newer Adventures. It's just that Yorkshire thing ;)

8)

;D
    Could happen to anyone fella, now also looking at new triumph sport 1050 :o
    So much choice , so little money :P

Making up for lost time on scooters eh Baz! Go on, get a Katie, they are brilliant machines ;) I rode a Triumph 1200 Explorer recently, a truly fantastic machine but a little uninvolving. I just like how twins make their power. If I could justify the purchase I'd be looking for a 950 Adventure or an SM-T but I guess the TDM will just have to do for the time being and I can't complain at that.

No plans for next year but my better half has suggested a few days in Ireland. We'll see how strong sterling is when the time comes. Speaking of which, I'm in Belfast at the moment (in the car sadly) and had a natter with a guy from Wexford at Cairnryan. He'd flown over to Glasgow to buy a very clean '07 Varadero and was riding back today. Apparently the exchange rate was a big factor in his purchase. It's an ill wind etc. :)

He travels too quick for me Craig. Had a long chat with him at the Manchester M/C show a few years ago - well, he had a long chat with me trying to sell me a place on one of his 'tours'. Not for me but he wouldn't have it; can't blame the him for trying though! I did buy one of his books (sounds the same thing as the DVD), but I wish I hadn't. I've got every respect for the guy but he came across as a bit of a dick in his book - brutally honest writing though. Unusual in an autobiography.

Quote from Steve T

V-Nice bike - Really enjoyable ride on Katie - only about 50 miles - but I've got to say that it is a better ride than the 990 Adv that eldest son had.

Steve T

8)

Better than the 990 Steve? Please elaborate. I still have unfinished business with the KTM Adventure (well the 950 anyway), or possibly an SM-T ;D

I clearly bored ??

Thinking about my recent off, and the more I think about it, the more I think I didn't do much wrong. Something I don't understand is the science/dynamics of what exactly happened.

You clearly need something to occupy your mind at this time. Google search 'Risk Compensation'. There have been lots of practical studies of this theory which might provide some interesting reading. RC has nothing and everything to do with Traction Control, as well as all other rider aids and ATGATT.

I'm not saying RC provides the answer to your off, but it does make for interesting and (for me) reassuring reading. When all's said and done, I guess we indulge in a pastime that carries an inherent risk, sometimes Poo happens!

Mountie, fully comp ?
    That seems remarkably cheap for Carole Nash ---- I have been with them and they always seemed similar to Bennets.
    Any special discounts involved ?

+1

I changed from Carole Nash earlier this year due to the expensive quote which they would not budge on. Over £50 more than last year with only one bike on it. Adding the two other bikes only bumped the cost by a fiver. So, no deal Carole Nash, I'm now with...

Motorcycle Direct (broker) Zenith (insurer; the same as through CN last year!)
    Fully comp
    20+ years NCD
    Claims? No idea, haven't had to make a claim so far.

The Carole Nash people were very quick to point out all the benefits of their policy - euro cover, breakdown cover, etc. etc. I was quick to point out that they're only benefits if you need 'em and use 'em.