Posts by JimRidesThis!

It's ages since I had to pay an admin fee --- a purchase from the USA --- it can add a disproportionate cost and really grates.

I’ve had some experience of customs and Post Office admin fees recently, buying parts for the Buell. Even so, with the shipping, customs and admin fees, the top end gasket set I had shipped from Idaho still worked out a lot cheaper than buying the same kit from Europe (couldn’t find one in the UK).

eBay/PayPal have a scheme where you pay it all upfront rather than get a nasty surprise and a trip to the parcel office to pay-up and pick-up. It’s worked for me a couple of times. It’s also worth remembering that if your package is under £125 value (inc shipping), there’s no customs charge (that’s from the States, not sure if it’s the same from Japan or elsewhere).

I’m not certain this is in the right place Craig, do move it if not.

I’ve got the Buell partially stripped down at the moment. There’s a tubular bracket at the front which, thanks to the minimal mudguard, is in the firing line for anything and everything that gets spat up by the front wheel - it was very, very rusty =O.

I could have stripped and painted it but I thought powder coating might be a more durable solution. I used a local firm - Powder Coating Carlisle and am happy to report they did an excellent job for a very reasonable price:thumbup:. I’m now looking around for more things to powder coat ^^.

https://powdercoatingincarlisle.co.uk

I’ve got no complaints about my OEX camp bed as mentioned above. Perfectly sturdy for sitting on - I probably won’t bother taking my chair next time I go camping, I rarely use it anyway.

Yep, I’m with Andy on this one. It’s your call Craig. Personally, while I do use my phone for photos occassionally, I hardly ever use it to post to forums. iPad yes, phone, no.

songs of the paddle is handy website also , been there before .

All good info

What make/model is your tent Craig? I know you told me last year at Achiltibuie but I’ve forgotten. Early signs of senility probably. There’s nowt wrong with mine but a man can never have too many tents ;D

It’s good to hear you’re back home and on the road to recovery Craig.

I had a weekend finishing fettling on the Buell (tyres, brake pads, fork oil seals, tidying up / modding wiring, etc.), followed by a test ride out to Holywood, just north of Dumfries to visit my cousin. He lives right next door to Holywood Garage, a Royal Enfield dealer, so I popped in there to have a closer look at the Himalayan. Well, it’d be rude not to! :) I’m going to go back and take one out for a test ride. ;)

The Buell behaved perfectly :) :) and the wiring mods seem to have smoothed the beast out a bit. I can see it as a long distance tourer now.

Very quick post yo say Iam not commenting on the forum
    Mthis is because i have been admitted into hospital yesterday and the burst appendix has been removed. Morphine is good

Rubber side down

Hope you’re up and about soon and not just ‘high’ Craig.

Old skool eh? They have holes in 'em to stop nippers suffocating these days ;D Also you'd look like a poverty stricken muppet. I'm not a big fan of Goretex suits, but in boots it works very well.

I don’t think you’re supposed to leave the shopping bags on your feet Three Dawg! They just make it easier to get a one piece suit on over your boots. Whip ‘em off when you’re leg’s through, so to speak.

However, now the idea has been mooted (and it’s a good one), let’s flesh it out a bit.

What brand of carrier bags would you be prepared to wear over your boots? Aldi on the left and Netto on the right? A matching pair? Something upmarket... Harrods, Fortnum & Masons?

Would the Asda ‘bag for life’ promise still apply?

It’s raining hard. I’m at work. I have an unavoidable ‘social engagement’ tonight and tomorrow.

I want to go out and ride my bike! >:(

I think a Ulysses and a Transalp is a great combination!

I’ll make sure I bring it to work when you’re passing Steve :)