Two night outings

• A lot depends on where you live and how you ride I suppose.

I've done several two day trips up north, travelling from Elgin, with wild camping overnight, so I'd no, Scotland aint to "Weeeee" for long bike runs, especially in the longer summer days :D

Steve T

8)

• A bunch of us stayed in Ullapool on Fri night and on Saturday went up to Durness along to Tongue and down to Lairg.
    It was about 2 when we got to Lairg and consensus was we would be at that night's stopover in Tomintoul so early we should just run for home.
    That coupled with my day out/back to Cullen on Monday made me pose the question
    Too early = pub too early = bad idea.

• I think, "don't explore enough" might be the clue.
    Must admit, I get a plan and push on -- woops that was a 300 mile day and not a 200 as intended.
    Biggest problem I find is, STOOPING! when it ain't for fuel.

• If I have a destination in mind and want to get there then I'm very much the same but one of the best weeks away I had around Scotland was about six year ago on my old Bandit with my daughter pillion and 'H' on her Gladius.
    We headed over to the west coast and took four days to go from Skye to Tounge, the weather made the view round every corner picture postcard stuff and we simply didn't have the time to take in all the roads I wanted to explore. If I was to retrace it on my GS I'd see even more roads and tracks I'd want to explore that it'd take me a fortnight.

• Six of us went away last March for a two night run and took in loads of tracks which weren't necessarily rights of way but it was a cracking weekend without any problems from walkers or land owners and all within a mile or two from regularly used and well known biking roads.

• It all depends on what you want to get from your trip, is it for the ride or using the bike as a touring and exploring tool, for me it is about 50/50. For 25 years I travelled all over Scotland diving all round the coast, but I saw next to nothing of the country. For example I have been to Tobermory twice, when we called there for lunch while diving in the Sound of Mull, but I have never seen any of the island. The same is true for the the whole Kintyre peninsula. So, next Friday after work I am heading to Oban for 3 nights camping as a base for a bit of exploration. Saturday will see me on Mull exploring the island, Sunday I will be riding down to the Mull of Kintyre to see what is worth seeing down there and then on Monday the scenic route back home.
    I think it will end up being about 700 - 750 miles, the shortest route could reduce that to about 550ish miles. Yes I could do it in a day but I want a chance to explore where I am going, not just tick destinations off in the book like a twitcher or train spotter.

• It all depends on what you want to get from your trip, is it for the ride or using the bike as a touring and exploring tool, for me it is about 50/50. For 25 years I travelled all over Scotland diving all round the coast, but I saw next to nothing of the country. For example I have been to Tobermory twice, when we called there for lunch while diving in the Sound of Mull, but I have never seen any of the island. The same is true for the the whole Kintyre peninsula. So, next Friday after work I am heading to Oban for 3 nights camping as a base for a bit of exploration. Saturday will see me on Mull exploring the island, Sunday I will be riding down to the Mull of Kintyre to see what is worth seeing down there and then on Monday the scenic route back home.
    I think it will end up being about 700 - 750 miles, the shortest route could reduce that to about 550ish miles. Yes I could do it in a day but I want a chance to explore where I am going, not just tick destinations off in the book like a twitcher or train spotter.

Enjoy , I'm like you, so much to explore and see , was down to Gatehouse of fleet today with the family and Carrick roads are great for the= bike , but as on my doorstep have never ventured near, always head up north mostly. Would love to do Kintyre so will eagerly await a report ;-)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!