Is Naked the Future?

• Having last week broken my long standing MCN cherry (not bought the weekly for an age and a half), the content of several of the articles were all directed to the latest, breaking bike trend - Naked street bikes.

I'd seen the same theme in several magazines that I've browsed in the past couple of months and it got me to thinking - not a thing that happens very often - are the big glossy's, backed invariably by one main publishing house, trying to divert the "Tall Tourer" (my description for the latest crop of "Adventure bikes") buying ageing biker away from said bikes to the "new trend" bikes?
    And if so, why?

My thoughts are that the big publishers have been ever so slightly side lined and overtaken by the vast and rapid growth of the "Tall Tourer", being blinkered to their coporate meat & veg - the sports bike.

And discuss!

Steve T

8)

• I think it is all a marketing thing Steve, I never pay any heed to the latest trend and just buy what I think is best for me......................at the time. ;)

Andy.

Every day above ground is a good day.

• The new BMW R Nine T looks fabulous and takes naked bike a step on with its customise me approach. Visor Down is trending with naked bikes

http://www.visordown.com/motor…bikes-revealed/24386.html

with another BMW, the F800R topping its Top 10 list. It has also lamented the lack of muscle (big naked) bikes available at the moment in the UK, bikes which you can still get in Japan.

http://www.visordown.com/featu…e-bike-revival/24345.html

I like naked bikes over Tupperware bikes with huge fairings and cramped sports bikes. Riders are getting older and want comfort, hence as you say there has been a tall bikes/adventure bike trend, of which I have been a part with my Versys and KLE500. My next bike, well its will be a naked (big) one, such as the XJR1300 so I have some oomph with my armchair!I am not trending, it is just a coincidence the bikes that suit me are in vogue.

• I'll agree with that, but was just wondering whats the driving force behind what I see as a concerted effort by the bigger publishing houses to "re-focus" our buying attention away from the Tall Tourers?

Steve T

Could it be there is a wee advertising incentive from certain manufacturers................no, that would never happen, would it? ::)

Andy.

Every day above ground is a good day.

• Types of bike go in and out of fashion and it hard to know who drives that trend, the media, the buyers or the manufacturers. I can see why naked bikes are becoming fashionable as they are less expensive, less costly if dropped, easier to service and have a lower seating position than adventure bikes whilst retaining the comfort.

With naked bikes you get everything from the futuristic new Z1000 to the retro Royal Enfields. So they cater for all tastes.

• The yam MT-09 is a great example the dealer my bro in law works in were selling them as fast as they came in. keep hoping they will bring it out in tenere form though 8)

Cheers Allan

• Is Naked the Future ??

I think it depends on the person and type of riding you want to do. Me personally I wouldn't have another naked bike, my last being a Kwak ZRX1200R with teeny headlamp fairing. I can't argue with the style of nakeds, I think they look good but for me practically they're no good. I like a fairing. The main reason being motorways or fast A roads, I can't go everywhere on B roads at 50mph.

It's the windblast, to me it's not fun. 60mph into a 25mph headwind for hours, usually down the A9/M74 is not fun in my book, add rain/sleet and it's worse. I traded the ZRX for a Transalp and was much happier, even with less than half the horsepower.

So for me it's a personal choice and I'm no longer swayed by bike press saying you need a certain kind of bike. I like my Varadero and have no plans on changing it. If nakeds are your thing then fine, go for it, but me personally won't be swayed by glossy magazine articles, not now anyway.

• I had the faired 1200 rex spoiled the looks a bit but at least offered a bit of protection. Got fed up keeping it in rear tires ;)

Cheers Allan

• 8)

we have all been there before in its original form then they call it retro, some bikes just look good naked most bike rags only care for bum in the air and chin on the clock style bikes each to their own.
    Becoming an older git I prefer a more sit up and beg ride easier on the back, now where did I put the volterol.

BIG D

• Big D's hit the nail on the head, the majority of the biking market are getting older and can't be bothered with the head down arse up sport bike any more.
    Lets face it they are making it harder for a new rider to get their licence in the first place and then when they pass they have to buy a bike. The clever manufacturers are bringing in small capacity bikes again, 250's, 500's, etc. No young person can afford a big bike now.
    I still like my sports bike although I tend to use the upright comfort of the big adventure more and more, back to the physio for me ;)

• I'll agree with that, but was just wondering whats the driving force behind what I see as a concerted effort by the bigger publishing houses to "re-focus" our buying attention away from the Tall Tourers?

Steve T

8)

Maybe the mags are fed up talking about the latest 1200GS ;)

• Good point, well presented ;)

8)

Well maybe the mag's are fed up but I bet the biking fraternity well bash on about them for some time to come,
    There seems an awful lot of infighting these days between bikers and their steeds, "my bike's better than your bike" and "what" you are not riding the latest all singing super bike about time you got rid of that old thing so to speak.
    Each to their own.

BIG D

• 8)

Well maybe the mag's are fed up but I bet the biking fraternity well bash on about them for some time to come,
    There seems an awful lot of infighting these days between bikers and their steeds, "my bike's better than your bike" and "what" you are not riding the latest all singing super bike about time you got rid of that old thing so to speak.
    Each to their own.

BIG D

Absolutely BIG D. Every bike appeals very differently to each and every biker. Using cars as an example, I've always owned estates as the whole point of a car is to travel from A to B, keep dry and warm and pack it full of things as I see it ;D ;)
    You wont see me driving anything else even when I'm silver haired (well more silvery at least!). Therefore I can't ever see me riding a Gsxr for example. The bike my brother rides as he pokes jibes at my trusty and practical transalp :-\

seems we're all re running our teens each and every decade! ::)

kmac

• I'll stick with my current bikes. One 'naked' another faired. Neither have fuel injection. Both are simple beasts to work on and have basic electrical systems. Both are what they are, not pimped to conform with the latest hipster fad ;D

'04 TDM900 😁 ‘84 XL600R (again) 😎 ‘08 Ulysses XT 😂

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!