Hmmm. Sounds like a school report doesn't it! Actually, one of the more accurate school report comments reads... "Jamie will never succeed unless he sees life as more than mere entertainment". Now, apart from revealing my given name there is another far more important point to this post...
About four months ago the doctor told me that I have 'a serious health issue'. I guess it'd have been easy to get depressed about it were it not for the fact that I wasn't brought up that way and there are so many people who have a much worse life than me. Instead of indulging in self-pity, I started making a plan. Here it is...
- Sell the Buell 😢. As much as I love it, I really don't need it and I have the TDM which is more economical. This is important because of No 2.
- Retire ASAP. I'll be cash poorer, but hopefully time richer 😁
- Put whatever time and energy I have into trying to make a difference for people much less fortunate that myself... while having a good time along the way. Life IS entertainment 🥳.
I'll sell the Buell in the spring and I see my boss about my retirement plan in just over 5 hours time!
I'm going to begin to tackle No 3 by trying to raise funds for Two Wheels for Life / Riders for Health who fund programmes in sub-Saharan Africa to deliver healthcare to rural communities. As These Just Giving pages are usually created around some sort of personal challenge, possibly involving large quantities of baked beans, shaving-related stunts or similar I thought I'd better do something too! 🤪
While it's not by any stretch of the imagination an arduous 'challenge', over 10-14 days in April 2022, I plan to ride to the four compass points of mainland UK (I'll be doing the four compass point of Scotland too, just because!). Currently, these are the only fixed points on my route and beyond that I don't have a plan. Other than to stay away from Motorways as much as possible, spend as little money as possible and see as much our fantastic island as possible. I'm open to suggestions!
My budget will be £50 per day including food, fuel and accommodation. As you'll all appreciate, £50/day doesn't go very far in the UK, so I'll be camping and kipping on friends couches to keep the costs down because every £ I save from my budget will be donated to the cause.
I have four months to figure out video editing on my iPad, so I hope to document the trip with daily updates on YouTube and I'll do a detailed ride report which I'll post here.
Here's how you might be able help:
- If you feel you can contribute financially, please donate on my Just Giving page http://www.justgiving.com/Four-Compass-Points . Every penny of every pound donated goes directly to Two Wheels for Life / Riders for Health.
- I don't intend to pay for any camping, so I'm on the scrounge for places to camp where I can access wifi to upload updates; perhaps you have a garden or a field where I could pitch-up for the night? Or, perhaps you'd just like to join me for a few miles on the road to provide some moral/immoral support? You're all creative thinkers, especially when drunk 😂, so perhaps you can think of other ways to get involved.
Any ideas welcome!