Must do better!

• Hmmm. Sounds like a school report doesn't it! Actually, one of the more accurate school report comments reads... "Jamie will never succeed unless he sees life as more than mere entertainment". Now, apart from revealing my given name there is another far more important point to this post...

About four months ago the doctor told me that I have 'a serious health issue'. I guess it'd have been easy to get depressed about it were it not for the fact that I wasn't brought up that way and there are so many people who have a much worse life than me. Instead of indulging in self-pity, I started making a plan. Here it is...

1. Sell the Buell 😢. As much as I love it, I really don't need it and I have the TDM which is more economical. This is important because of No 2.
    2. Retire ASAP. I'll be cash poorer, but hopefully time richer 😁
    3. Put whatever time and energy I have into trying to make a difference for people much less fortunate that myself... while having a good time along the way. Life IS entertainment 🥳.

I'll sell the Buell in the spring and I see my boss about my retirement plan in just over 5 hours time!

I'm going to begin to tackle No 3 by trying to raise funds for Two Wheels for Life / Riders for Health who fund programmes in sub-Saharan Africa to deliver healthcare to rural communities. As These Just Giving pages are usually created around some sort of personal challenge, possibly involving large quantities of baked beans, shaving-related stunts or similar I thought I'd better do something too! 🤪

While it's not by any stretch of the imagination an arduous 'challenge', over 10-14 days in April 2022, I plan to ride to the four compass points of mainland UK (I'll be doing the four compass point of Scotland too, just because!). Currently, these are the only fixed points on my route and beyond that I don't have a plan. Other than to stay away from Motorways as much as possible, spend as little money as possible and see as much our fantastic island as possible. I'm open to suggestions!

My budget will be £50 per day including food, fuel and accommodation. As you'll all appreciate, £50/day doesn't go very far in the UK, so I'll be camping and kipping on friends couches to keep the costs down because every £ I save from my budget will be donated to the cause.

I have four months to figure out video editing on my iPad, so I hope to document the trip with daily updates on YouTube and I'll do a detailed ride report which I'll post here.

Here's how you might be able help:

• If you feel you can contribute financially, please donate on my Just Giving page http://www.justgiving.com/Four-Compass-Points . Every penny of every pound donated goes directly to Two Wheels for Life / Riders for Health.
    • I don't intend to pay for any camping, so I'm on the scrounge for places to camp where I can access wifi to upload updates; perhaps you have a garden or a field where I could pitch-up for the night? Or, perhaps you'd just like to join me for a few miles on the road to provide some moral/immoral support? You're all creative thinkers, especially when drunk 😂, so perhaps you can think of other ways to get involved.

Any ideas welcome!

'04 TDM900, ‘84 XL600R (again), ‘08 Ulysses XT & Mrs. JRT’s F650GS

Edited 2 times, last by JimRidesThis! ().

• Sorry to hear about your health problems. Can offer a room and some grub (we have one for non paying guests!) if you are passing through Inverness in April. Price is pretending not to be bored I I start rabbiting on about how amazing riding in Africa is. :D I've seen the people whizzing around on their RFH bikes in Zambia, doing good work no doubt.

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

• Jamie . . . . I meant Jim of course ;), saddened to hear of your medical issue.

Sounds like you've got your head in the right place though, so all the best to you and your plans.

Now, onto this ride thing . . . you know you can doss hear whenever you like - be great to see you again.

Would be my honour to accompany you as you do the charity thing . . . just watch out for high speed RD04s coming out of the sun ;)

Don't do the electronic giving thing as you know but you'll get a tank full or two of fuel from me to help bolster the coffers.

Here's hoping the retirement talk went well :thumbup:.Take care of yourself and your good lady and I'm sure we'll meet up soon enough.

• Sorry to hear about your health problems. Can offer a room and some grub (we have one for non paying guests!) if you are passing through Inverness in April. Price is pretending not to be bored I I start rabbiting on about how amazing riding in Africa is. :D I've seen the people whizzing around on their RFH bikes in Zambia, doing good work no doubt.

Cheers 3D, hope you’re having a great time and are bearing up okay in all that warmth! I’ll never get bored of travel stories, promise! 😉

• Aye up Steve!

My brother, sister, cousins, and old friends all still call me Jamie, I don’t mind, it’s my name. I was re-christened Jim when I started work on a newspaper when I was 17. It was all to do with the length of the byline on my first front page photo. It just seemed to stick after that.

Coincidentally, Ted Simon worked on that same newspaper, The Barrow News & Mail, but many years before. He wrote about it in the forward of Riding High and I mentioned the connection to him at an HU meet about 10 or 15 years ago and he was quite happy to reminisce over a beer or two.

I’ll PM you as plans firm up 😉.

• I had a notion to do a trip round the N,S,E,W, four but it never happened last year. 2020 notes

Mull of Galloway lighthouse.

Ardnamurchan lighthouse.

Dunnet head lighthouse.

Peterhead Prison-ish/Arco site.

[Eyemouth is fairly easterly, as a more aesthetic option than Peterheid but -----

From as far south as Cove bay (Aberdeen) and as far north as Rosehearty (Fraserburgh), the coast is further east than Eyemouth !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!