Loch Ness Rally

• Highland Classic MCC is running the Loch Ness Rally on Sunday 5th September at Fairways golf course, Inverness. It usually has a decent turn out - 100 or so interesting machines in the concours from veteran to modern classic. Bikes assemble to be judged from around 10am until the oldies start off at around midday with the rest following soon after for a run round the loch.

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

• Some interesting bikes attended, both in and out of the show, including seven Laverdas, plenty of Guzzis including a very nice Mk1 Lemans and a worn but interesting T3, a mint Vincent Rapide and a Rover that was registered in Inverness in the late twenties (IIRC) and quite a number of Yamaha LCs including a Mars Bar one just like mine.

Anyway, along with the usual GSs, I spotted this new kid on the block. Not what you would call pretty, and of course I despise top boxes, but looked well put together - frame much less fussy than a late GS IMHO.

51426934261_25f7e68383_b.jpg

51427691279_3432da3095_b.jpg

[EDIT] Looks like I missed Steve T. Lots more bikes there by 11!

Edited once, last by Three Dawg ().

• Lots of excitement over here around the Pan American. I saw the demo fleet at Laguna Seca last month (couldn't be assed to suit up again to test ride in a parking lot) and it does look a little better in the flesh than the pictures tell.

HD are claiming it's currently the best selling ADV bike in the US but didn't provide any numbers to support. Of course BMW have been sold out of the GS here for most of the year.

"El piloto que se levanta es aún más grande que el piloto que no ha caido"

2019 BMW R1250GSA "timBUCK 2"

Yep, down to one bike.

• I would imagine they'll sell shed loads in the States, patriotic bunch that you are. Didn't look entirely convincing as an overland bike (but then neither does the plastic festooned 1250GS, so what do I know), but as a great all rounder it will probably deliver. Engine looked exceptionally neat, but it did have Jeep (as in WW2) styling, ie none.

• Yep, conveniently ignoring that the majority of components are sourced from India & China! :rolleyes:

To my mind all of the big bore "ADV" bikes are all-rounders not all-roaders. The Bimmer die-hards hate to hear it but we have a R1250GSA as it's the most comfortable sport tourer out there. For dirty stuff, anything that size is (to quote The Pistols) NO FUN!

"El piloto que se levanta es aún más grande que el piloto que no ha caido"

2019 BMW R1250GSA "timBUCK 2"

Yep, down to one bike.

• Depends how deep you want to go on a serious trip - I wouldn't expect to be going down tricky single track if I was' Adventure Touring', that's for light bikes (or Chris Birch!) but I would expect (hope!) to tackle gravel, sand, rocks and stream crossings, some of which would cause me to fall off. A good ADV bike will shrug this off, like my GS does, and still be all day comfortable for both of us on tarmac.

It's worth watching the highly entertaining KTM Adventure rally videos on Youtube to see what is possible on big bikes, even if you aren't the aforementioned Mr Birch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!