• Making lemonade from lemons...I've been in the UK for a few days having lost my father last weekend (not unexpected & a merciful release) and my quarantine finishes soon so I decided to make a side trip to Skye before the funeral. No bike, just a boring old rental car I'm afraid but if anyone's up for a pint in the Portree area next weekend I'm buying.

"El piloto que se levanta es aún más grande que el piloto que no ha caido"

2019 BMW R1250GSA "timBUCK 2"

Yep, down to one bike.

• My condolences on the passing of your father.

Not been over to Skye for a few years - the thought of dodging camper vans and caravans due to the islands increased popularity as a holiday destination does little to encourage me to venture over there . . . plus I spent a good while transitting back & forth to the ferry terminal at Uig when working on the outer isles.

So, you name a place and a time and it's be good to meet for a cuppa and a chat.

Steve T

8)

• Saturday evening, Earlish or Portree area? Or elsewhere, else-time? My time is my own for 2 days at least.

Yep, down to one bike.

• Morning Phil.

I'm a good 4 hr ride from Skye, so an evening meet is a non starter for me I'm afraid. It's not just the distance but the big hairy, horned beasties that wander onto the roads of an evening. I've dodged the horny beasts in the car & the bike in the past, in day light and in the darker hours, and it's not a great deal of fun.

• Can you post up on here where and when you fix the meet, might be able to slide over to the Isle (daytime only, that road is lethal at night, even with my lights) on Saturday.

Maybe split the difference at the Cluanie?

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

• Deer are not only at night chummies.

I was heading towards Kyle for a meeting in my car beginning of the week. On the single track road about 4 miles from Lochcarron, a GS heading towards me about 30m away, a pair of full grown hinds break out of some bushes between him and me. Guy on bikes hits the 2nd one very very hard, but give him his due, he managed to control it and just missed me. He stopped up the road whilst I pushed the beast into the ditch, she was feked in the back end. Guy from Pembrokeshire got a hell of a fright but only cosmetic damage to the GS. Got a hold of the local gamie who shot the beast in the ditch.

So be careful chaps, these beasts should be up the hill by now. I know that road like the back of my hand, I know where the deer are and when to push it and when to ease off and I have never ever seen beasts on that stretch of the road.

Bushes are a good sign, or carcases at the side of the road.

Greenest XRV Africa Twin , BMW 1200 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR450F, Yamaha Tenere

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow's a Mystery 8)

• Sorry guys, the Skye trip happened but as you no doubt already knew (but I found out), opportunities to socialize were severely restricted. But wow, what a place! Even the run from Inverness airport is biking heaven, can't wait to get back on 2 wheels next time rather than the godawful thing National had me plonk down a 2nd mortgage to rent.

Yep, down to one bike.

• Sorry guys, the Skye trip happened but as you no doubt already knew (but I found out), opportunities to socialize were severely restricted. But wow, what a place! Even the run from Inverness airport is biking heaven, can't wait to get back on 2 wheels next time rather than the godawful thing National had me plonk down a 2nd mortgage to rent.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm heading up there again tomorrow for work, might take the bike.

Don't know which route you took , either the A82 or the "top road " over Strathconon. I favour the latter this time of year purely because of tourist traffic on the A82, and the top road is mainly local traffic.

Either way, the views are good, but tbh, seen it that many times, you get used to it.

Skye itself has some awesome roads, and off season, your own little track day :)

Enjoy your return trip, might manage to hook up next time.

Greenest XRV Africa Twin , BMW 1200 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR450F, Yamaha Tenere

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow's a Mystery 8)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!