The weight of Adventure Bikes

• I've been wondering about the size and weight of my 1100GS after I had to move it and the Falco out of the garage while I did some work on my car. The Falco is sooo much lighter than the GS to wheel around.

So I thought I'd have a look and see how the GS compared to more up to date adventure bikes, and I was surprised!

My1100GS: 243kg wet

My Falco: 222kg wet

Latest 1250GS: 249kg wet

KTM 1290 Super Advernture: 240kg wet

KTM 890 Adventure: 210kg wet (quite light, but it's physically a wee bit smaller)

Africa Twin: 242 wet

KTM 990 Adventure 234kg wet

Old R100GS Airhead 210kg wet

Seems to me that OK, you can buy yourselves a bundle more power with a newer bike, but you won't save a massive amount of weight unless you go sub thou on the engine.capacity. And in the quarter century between the first of the Oilhead BMWs and the latest Wetheads no weight has been lost at all.

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

• Three Dawg

Changed the title of the thread from “The weight of Adventure Bkes” to “The weight of Adventure Bikes”.
  • CCM GP 450? Wouldn't do for me as no good 2up, but it ticks lots of boxes otherwise. Wouldn't want anything smaller - been watching Itchy Boots in South Africa on a Honda 250, boy is that thing slow.

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!