My motocamping gear #6 | Snugpak Navigator sleeping bag

• My motocamping gear #6 | Snugpak Navigator sleeping bag

For a the last 10 years I've had a Vango Wilderness XL sleeping bag which, in most respects was a great bit of kit for me. I'm a fidgety sleeper, I really don't like mummy style bags and I also sleep hot so most of the time I don't bother zipping it up - a properly designed quilt would actually be of more use to me (more on that later). But, over years of use the Vango bag has lost its loft so, last year, I decided it was time to buy a new one. Enter the Navigator from Sungpak's Basecamp range!

As I haven't used it for camping yet, only indoors, bear that in mind for this review

Specs

Weight: 1750g,

Temperature ratings: comfort -2, extreme -7°C

Size: 220 x 80 cm

Compressed pack size: 28 x 24 cm

Construction: box baffle (not sewn-through)

Fill: Isofibre

My thoughts so far:

It's a well-constructed bag using decent materials throughout.

It's 500g lighter and less bulky than the Vango it replaces, and it's comfort rating is several degrees lower but it's also 20 cm narrower.

It's still bulkier than I'd like, but the extra warmth factor does that. I'm not backpacking, so it shouldn't be a real issue

Snugpak is a British company, but unlike Snugpak Softie range, the Basecamp range isn't made in Britain.

Finally, I can't wait to use it on a camping trip!

How about a quilt though? Well, I've been in touch with Snugpak to see if they could knock-up a custom quilt for me, using the Softie insulation which packs down smaller for it's given rating. Watch this space!

'04 TDM900, ‘84 XL600R (again), ‘08 Ulysses XT

• I’ve done quite a bit of research into quilts, but almost without exception they’re aimed at hammock users and have a tailored design. I’m after a square quilt and they seem to be much harder to come by.

As I said, I’ve been in touch with Snugpak (primarily because of their insulation material) and they seem to be interested, once they can return to normal business operations.

The other option is to make my own, which is an appealing idea (or should that be an appalling idea? ?). I have my old Vango bag for inner and outer material, the insulation is the sticking point at the moment. I wouldn’t mind using down for it’s packability, but I’d want to find responsibly harvested (i.e. not from China), hydrophobic down or possibly an old eiderdown bedspread to pillage ?.

'04 TDM900, ‘84 XL600R (again), ‘08 Ulysses XT

Edited once, last by JimRidesThis! ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!