My motocamping gear #4 | Trangia 27-1 (with spirit and gas burners)
I bought the Trangia complete with the gas burner from SteveT a couple of years back. I've since added the kettle and bio-gel burner .
- Quality Swedish construction
- A traditional spirit burner for meths addicts .
- You get a firm base and windbreak for your pans/kettle/etc. and the whole kit nests in a relatively compact form.
- The gas burner gives you the option of using the ubiquitous screw-on canisters.
- The wind break feature of the Trangia means your fuel heats water/food quicker and will last longer too, as the heat is channelled rather than blown away by the breeze.
- The meths burner and bio-gel burner operate silently (unlike my Coleman Sportster or the mis-named MSR Whisperlite!)
- None as far as I'm concerned.
As I'm not usually in a rush when brewing-up or cooking, I can't see the advantage of Jetboils, etc. In fact, I've only used the Trangia’s gas burner once. All the other times I've used this Vango bio-gel.
It's clean, doesn't spill and seems to be readily available. You can also use it as hand sanitiser and, conversely, use hand sanitiser to brew-up on your Trangia!