My motocamping gear #1 Morakniv Bushcraft Black

• My motocamping gear #1 Morakniv Bushcraft Black

I’m reviewing some of the tried and tested things I take on my moto-camping trips, a decent knife that’ll hold an edge is one of those essentials. For the last five years I’ve been using a Morakniv Bushcraft Black which I can highly recommend.

I’ve used this for all sorts of tasks from light whittling ? to ‘kitchen work’ to batoning wood for kindling. I’ve never carved a spoon ? but I have no doubt it’d do the job ?.

Pros: A reasonably priced knife from a well-respected Swedish manufacturer. Carbon steel blade which holds an edge and is much easier to sharpen than stainless steel. 4” / 11cm long, 3.2mm thick scandi ground blade.

Cons: None I’ve comes across so far, though always look after my knives, axes, etc.

As it’s a fixed blade it usually lives in one of my panniers along with the camping gear, for a folding knife I usually carry an Opinel No 8.

'04 TDM900, ‘84 XL600R (again), ‘08 Ulysses XT & Mrs. JRT’s F650GS

Edited 3 times, last by JimRidesThis! ().

• I,ve got a very similar Mora knife that I,ve had for about 10 years now, they seem to last forever. My son has just made me a leather sheath for it which I,m assuming is worth more than the knife. Opinels are great for what you pay for them, I have a few. I even had the folding saw until it mysteriously disappeared on one camping trip.

• The Mora looks a robust Tool for sure.

But all is done is set me off ---

From time to time I think I must buy a Single blade knife for Garden, fishing, camping, picnic, use.

My trawl though some of what is available finally resulted in the purchase of a CRKT Pilar HH detailed on another thread.

P.S.

I like these; great kitchen knife for light duties and would do well as a camping cooking knife. Flexy blade not for chopping turnips.

Bizarrely ompletely illegal 11cm blade if carried about outside unless you can prove good cause !

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/victorinox-tomato-knife-serrated

• JimRidesThis!

Changed the title of the thread from “Morakniv Bushcraft Black” to “My motocamping gear #1 Morakniv Bushcraft Black”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!