• Well that was easy! Ended up with the Pfizer but not complaining. I rode my bicycle down there as it's about 2 miles from my apartment & they had 4,000 vaccinations scheduled so traffic was hell. Cops were skeptical about letting me in on pedaled 2 wheels but then decided I was a vehicle so let me through. Dose #1 administered by Army medics, dose #2 scheduled for next month.

PXL_20210224_155801235_autoscaled.jpg

"El piloto que se levanta es aún más grande que el piloto que no ha caido"

2019 BMW R1250GSA "timBUCK 2"

Yep, down to one bike.

• I think this year is going to be a rerun of 2020. The south west of England is reporting good forward bookings, especially self catering, but we're seeing absolutely nothing in our sector up here at the moment. So brace yourselves for campervans clogging up the NC500 and yobs shitting in hedges and leaving their 'disposable' camping gear all over the shop.

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

• I think this year is going to be a rerun of 2020. The south west of England is reporting good forward bookings, especially self catering, but we're seeing absolutely nothing in our sector up here at the moment. So brace yourselves for campervans clogging up the NC500 and yobs shitting in hedges and leaving their 'disposable' camping gear all over the shop.

Chin up Three Dawg. I think the problem is that while there's a well publicised outline of what will open when in England, but the information about Scotland is less clear.

My usual spring Scotland trip with the Sunderland Posse has been rebooked for October (keeping my fingers crossed for that one), so I've been organising a summer long weekend camping to keep us going. We're looking at the Peak District rather than north of the border because we have all the information about when campsites should be able to reopen. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

'04 TDM900, ‘84 XL600R (again), ‘08 Ulysses XT & Mrs. JRT’s F650GS

• Well I would't think anything Boris says about coming out of lockdown holds much water, but I suppose if it cheers people up...

Good news is that my business interruption insurance did kick in, so at least I can sit out another year if I have to, much less of an option for many, I know.

Edited once, last by Three Dawg ().

• Good news about your insurance Three Dawg, that takes some of the financial pressure off 👍 and I totally agree on the efficacy of Boris’ words ... or any other politician north, south, east or west of the border for that matter.

I don’t think the plan to ease lockdown is particularly ‘cheery’, but it has given businesses and the public with some dates to tentatively plan around. Whether things go to plan, we’ll have to wait and see, but driving that stake in the ground is probably responsible for the increase in bookings in England. A colleague who has a rental property in Keswick is now booked solid until the end of June - every booking coming after the release of the ‘roadmap’ last Monday.

Sturgeon’s plans seem much less clear (have any been publicised?) and the general tone seems to be that visitors are not welcome. On the local news (SW Scotland & The Borders) it seems that the Holyrood power base is more focussed on another referendum and squashing any suggestions of complicity in the Alex Salmond affair. 😂

• Yeah, the SNP is coming apart at the seams at the moment - great timing! It's true that just about the only thing we've had is "don't book anything for Easter" which is unhelpful.

We'll be just fine (unlike many we see on the forums for our industry) but I do worry about the wider tourist infrastructure - everything up here is run on a shoestring, they can't even keep the public toilets open. . And while Wee Nicola bangs on about independence is that going to endear her to Richi and Boris and their magic money tree?

• I got my ScotWays newsletter in the post today (it is still a hard copy publication!) and there was a reference to the Rural Tourism Infrastructure Funding scheme.

It turns out that the "magnificent" sum of £3million was allocated to it.

There were many applications for these funds and they were whitled down to a Dozen.

The attached article outlines where they are.

Spoiler Alert ---- it ain't going to be the attack on crap dumping in Scotland that I think we all hoped, far less excellent facilities in the "far north".

https://www.visitscotland.org/…tructure-fund-round-three

• Hope they did their SI correctly.

I once spent three weeks digging out for a tank opposite the harbour. Lewisian gneiss in the area, 3 million years old and toughest rock I have ever come across. We would still be there with a rock hammer had I not jacked up the tank by 800mm :D 30 ton machine wouldn't even put a dent in it :huh:

Greenest XRV Africa Twin , BMW 1200 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR450F, Yamaha Tenere

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow's a Mystery 8)

• Well, at last Wee Jimmie Krankie’s set out a plan. Flyfifer can book in for bouffant and hopefully Three Dawg’ll get some bookings in his holiday gaffs 👍

More importantly, I can now plan a camping trip somewhere up on the west coast 😁😁😁

• I don't see camp sites opening any time soon.

Wee Nicky threw in "subject to conditions" when she referred to Tourist Accomodation.

I have not tried to look for and trawl through any written stuff from Scot Gov but I suspect that hotels and the like will have social distancing rules residents.

No doubt it will currently still be wooly vague.

Camp sites might only be camper vans with facilities, as complying with " conditions" will be impractical.

Only my doom and gloom thoughts.

3dawg will presumably be researching the detail.

• It's a bit vague ( being polite here) but apparently we can take guests from Scotland from the 26th of April ( how do we police this?) and then 'subject to conditions' take anyone from about the third week in May.

I can't see us bothering to reopen before the end of May, but we will see how it goes. Franky I'm more interested in when I can travel again...

• Ditto re travel --

But travel and stay would be better !

Having been cooped up between the Ochils, the Forth and an Eastern & Western roundabout ----barely ten miles apart is beginning to get to me !!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!