• Tweezers or cheap pair of haemostats..... grasp gently (don't squeeze, you don't wanna pop them)) rotate them clockwise like your unscrewing them, they will release after a few rotations (how many depends on how deep they've screwed themselves in)

(You can also use fingertips, just make sure to wash hands afterwards)

Do Not

-Burn (match, lighter etc)

-coat in any substance (oil, petroleum jelly etc)

Doing so will cause them to regurgitate their stomach contents into your system (nasty) along with anything they may be carrying (such as lyme)

Do Not smash/pop to kill- doing so will cause an arisolized spray that can potentially be breathed in.

Do not try to just pull them out as that usually results in leaving the head in & they’re a bytch to get out and very likely to get infected

Best way to dispose of is wrap in some sticky tape and bin or flush down the loo

(Qualifications 27years of professionally removing the lil bastards from dogs on a regular basis.)

• On my squad I use a tick lasso (no, you don't get to swing it around your head then throw it at the dog :rolleyes:).

There are also some little gadgets that have a small fork at the business end that slides around the ticks head area, then you do the twist thing and out they come . . .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OTom-…77032211&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

The horrid little things are rife this year - took 26 off the two youngsters after a training session on ground I don't usually use . . . . and won't be using again any time soon :cursing:. I've had two attached to me this year and before that only ever had one in my 60+ years 8|.

• The freeze idea reduces the potential for leaving a bit when you "twist and shout" the wee fork devices.

Allegedly the suddenly frozen beastie just drops off.

A wee bit of reversal of the old burn them off technique.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!