Honda XL600R - The Covid Year

• I left off waiting for locating dowels and paint. Well, the locating dowels arrived which allowed me to get the cam cover bolted down. I just need to double check the torque setting for the M8 bolt in the centre of the cover (this is my reminder!) and that’s it ready to go back in the frame! 😁

Look what arrived this morning... 😊

49902132108_a22c71f09c_c.jpg

I’d already prepped and shot some primer on the frame so there was nothing to do other than give it some base coat and lacquer...

49902954302_b8f40d0120_c.jpg

I’ve got other bits to paint (rear rack, side stand, etc.) so I’ll do those before I attempt to put the engine back in the frame. That should give plenty of time for the paint to harden off.

I need to figure out a way of protecting the frame tubes when I put the engine in - that’s where most of the chips came from last time - so I’m casting a critical eye over materials I already have in the workshop. 🤔 It’s a tight fit getting it in (oo er 😳) and there’s not a lot of clearance between the engine and frame once it’s in, so whatever I use needs to form a thin, protective cushion that can be cut/pulled out afterwards.

Any ideas welcome!

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted Hillary, my stuffed otter 😳. I found him/her (not sure which) in a pre-stuffed state, in the stable/workshop when we moved in. He/she holds a watching brief over goings on in the workshop. 👍

'04 TDM900 😁 ‘84 XL600R (again) 😎 ‘08 Ulysses XT 😂

Edited 4 times, last by JimRidesThis! ().

• Jim, when I rebuilt the XBR I wrapped the frame tubes with rags held in place with duct tape and it worked for me. I think your bike will be the same as mine in that there is no way you can use the old trick of propping the engine on it's side and lowering the frame on to it. I have seen this done with older bikes but alas, not with the Honda singles. Frame is looking the dogs bolx Jim.

Andy.

Every day above ground is a good day.

• Jim, when I rebuilt the XBR I wrapped the frame tubes with rags held in place with duct tape and it worked for me. I think your bike will be the same as mine in that there is no way you can use the old trick of propping the engine on it's side and lowering the frame on to it. I have seen this done with older bikes but alas, not with the Honda singles. Frame is looking the dogs bolx Jim.

Andy.

Hi Andy, I think you’re right in that there’s no way of dropping the frame onto the engine, it’s too tight a fit for that. Shame as it’s stripped down this far.

I’ve found some old plastic conduit that I could use along with corrugated cardboard for the tricky bits.

• It’s been a rainy day here (the first since lockdown!) so I put the engine in 😉. I used corrugated cardboard for frame protection and it worked a treat. Pics to follow. 👍

• While I’m lucky enough to have a workshop where I can store and work on my bikes, it’s not a huge space, especially when one of them is up on a stand. The ridged floor surface (it was built as a stable) means it’s difficult to move it around. Therefore I was keen to get the XL back on its pins so I can wheel it around.

In with the swingarm and rear suspension and on with the front end. I’ve said it before, there’s nowt to these old trail bikes compared to the heavyweight, complex stuff we all ride these days. An hour’s work, et voila! 🤪

The rear end is all torqued up but some of the front-end bits need to come off again, but at least I can wheel it around now, and it’s the first time in a while since there’s been an engine in the frame 😁👍

• While I’m lucky enough to have a workshop where I can store and work on my bikes, it’s not a huge space, especially when one of them is up on a stand. The ridged floor surface (it was built as a stable) means it’s difficult to move it around. Therefore I was keen to get the XL back on its pins so I can wheel it around.

In with the swingarm and rear suspension and on with the front end. I’ve said it before, there’s nowt to these old trail bikes compared to the heavyweight, complex stuff we all ride these days. An hour’s work, et voila! 🤪

49921135767_119fdefc01_c.jpg

The rear end is all torqued up but some of the front-end bits need to come off again, but at least I can wheel it around now, and it’s the first time in a while since there’s been an engine in the frame 😁👍

Looks kind of familiar Jim.

Andy.

Every day above ground is a good day.

• An XLnt Update:

I've been a bit busy with other things for the past couple of weeks so progress on the XL has been a bit slow. I reinstalled the alternator and cover last weekend (no pics) so, this evening, it was time to switch attention to the clutch side.

49974595008_dc5aa95fcc_c.jpg
    On with the oil pump and kickstart spline and gears...

49975115456_262808e862_c.jpg
    And the clutch basket. Then off with the clutch basket and oil pump to instal the oil orifice and 'o' ring that sits behind the oil pump. I'd forgotten it first time round!

49975115411_62eafc4117_c.jpg
    In with the clutch plates, oil pump drive gear and ignitor...

49975377222_35f25ed1a4_c.jpg
    And finally fit the clutch case, auto de-compessor cable and external oil line to the cylinder head.

The mechanicals of the engine are now complete! I was enjoying myself so much I set the valve clearances and adjusted the auto de-compressor to correct tolerance before calling it done for the day. Here's where it stands :D

49974595138_8177b14cd6_c.jpg

• Almost there...

50105616651_b8d0d5f6df_c.jpg

Still to do:
    1. Fit the footpegs, bashplate, fairing and side panels (they're just on loose at the moment).
    2. Ride it :)

Apologies for the overly contrasty image, I'll get some better ones once it's complete.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!