The current lockdown situation has encouraged me to make a start on rebuilding the engine of my 1984/5 Honda XL600R. I thought, if you’re bored, you might like to join me for some entertainment
Why the rebuild? Two or three years ago the top-end (and more) destroyed itself when one of the cam sprocket bolts backed out until it could back out no more. At that point, everything that should be moving came to a very sudden stop.
Not long afterwards, I stripped the engine right down to assess the damage and track down the parts needed. It’s only now that I’ve ‘picked up the ball’. Here’s the damage...
Toasted camshaft. That’s not going to polish out
The egg shape and stress cracks in the cam sprocket are the least of the problems, because -
It’s trying to be a banana too
Bent exhaust valves
Modified clutch drive sprocket
...and clutch basket!
I think I’ve now got most of the parts to rebuild it, I’ve just found the last pieces (hopefully) - a secondhand clutch and clutch drive gear.
Getting decent parts is the main issue for these bikes. Consumables are available, but apparently camshafts and clutch baskets are not considered ‘consumables’.