What have you done to your bike today?

• Having had enough for now of gardening and painting, I thought I'd do a little maintenance on the GS today. What it really needs is the front shock rebuilding and the hoses inside the tank replacing, but as my income is currently AWOL and parcels marked 'Moto Bins' arriving is a no-no I decided to take the brake calipers off and gave them a good clean. I expected them to be mingin' after all that salt on the last trip, but they weren't too bad really. Caliper drag can be a bit of an issue on these bikes, so it's worth doing from time to time. Had brake cleaner, fluid and banjo washers already, so no money spent at all.;)

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

• I fitted an pair of 15mm bar risers , refitted the original front brake lines (which have little adjustment to accommodate)

Whilst the lines were off would have be remiss to not remove the callipers as well and give them a good clean , including removing the pistons and checking seals etc .

Front and back wheels now off waiting for the new rubber to come , also spend some time cleaning the SS spokes

The Avon's were really squared off on the rear and giving a really unsettling ride over the usual painted lines etc .

Oh well here's to another new tyre brand / make

Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.

• What are you putting on it Craig.

I’ve wavering between Pirelli MT21’s and Maxxis M6006’s for the XL600R.

'04 TDM900 😁 ‘84 XL600R (again) 😎 ‘08 Ulysses XT 😂

• Today I cleaned up the rear mudguard for the XL600R.

Now look away SteveT!
    At the tail end of last week I ordered a Buelltooth dongle so I can access the ECU, clear any fault codes, alter the fuelling, the EEPROM file, test sensors and so forth 😳. This is all new stuff for me and for the most part I have no idea what I’m talking about! I’m looking forward to having a play though. Being a Mac/iOS user I also had to buy an Android tablet to download ECMDroid that connects to the Buelltooth thing. At £50 it was a small investment that’ll also provide music in the workshop.

Just waiting for my dongle to arrive from the USA 😂

'04 TDM900 😁 ‘84 XL600R (again) 😎 ‘08 Ulysses XT 😂

• Craig - they are what the CB5X came fitted with. IMO they are OK for normal road riding and will do tracks that either aren't wet or muddy.

Nearly 2.5k miles on them so far and they seem to be wearing OK - lost around 2 of the 6mm that the rear tyre had on delivery.

Where did you get them fitted?

• Fitte

Craig - they are what the CB5X came fitted with. IMO they are OK for normal road riding and will do tracks that either aren't wet or muddy.

Nearly 2.5k miles on them so far and they seem to be wearing OK - lost around 2 of the 6mm that the rear tyre had on delivery.

Where did you get them fitted?

Not going to be doing to many tracks I guess this year so more of a road based tyre

The CB seemed to handle ok for sure on that short track we did

Craigston Tyres , Old Meldrum is my new tyre guy . excellent service

Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.

• Checked the valves and changed the plugs - so easy to do on a GS. Couple of the valves needed a tiny tweak, but that's all. Plugs quite black, I think my air temperature spoofer may be to blame as it was set to minus 20, so I moved it to minus 10 to lean it off a tad, and will check again once I've been out on it again. Bike probably needs an Italian decoke; I ride very conservatively when I'm far from home.

Been bingeing on Itchy Boots in South America - our paths must have crossed at some point, she was in Usuaia heading north when we were in Bolivia heading south - just can't get to grips with not having anything planned, and I've run out of things to tinker with on the GS. Pffffttt...

Three Dawg. A man of many parts, most of them broken.

Edited once, last by Three Dawg ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!