Hello from Rhode Island

• Hello!
    Mrs Trip and I will be landing on your shores about the 20th of May, and will be out for a wander until we end our ride and store our bikes in Edinburgh on June 9th.
    We're pretty slow on our wee bikes...so don't run us over!
    We don't have much of a plan so far, but we'll probably mosey up the west side...ride some ferries...visit some islands, and see where happenstance takes us from there.

I've been reading the ADVScotland site, and want to say thanks for all the helpful info! We're looking forward to our visit!
    -Rhode Trip

Ride Reports (so far):
    http://advrider.com/index.php?…a-thing-going-on.1033329/

http://advrider.com/index.php?…p-cross-the-pond.1238672/

• Cool. Just stay away from the A9 if you're heading to the Highlands cos it's crap. ;D

Three Dawg I read some of your ride report out with the Mrs. That's cool stuff! I will read the whole thing when I get the chance. We will stay off the A9...we usually try to avoid the main roads anyway... too much traffic!

• hello there, pop over to North Queensferry for a picture right below the beautiful railway bridge

Hi Simone,
    I had to Google North Queensferry, but that looks like it could be a good route into Edinburgh for us. We are leaving our bikes in a storage locker near the airport. Did you guys know you can fly direct from Edinburgh into Little Rhody for about 99 pounds? You're all invited to come visit!

• I have been to Rhode Island. Saw a baseball game with the Pawtucket Redsox. The equivalent of going to Clackmananshire to see Alloa play, if an American comes here.

Ha! That's cool and it's quintessential Rhode Island! Did you have a Coney Island Weiner or a Quahog?

• Ha! That's cool and it's quintessential Rhode Island! Did you have a Coney Island Weiner or a Quahog?

No, we were at Cape Code, had seafood and one of the guys was very ill afterwards. I was 16 and we were at a International Scout Jaboree.

I would not seriously recommend you visit Alloa, but if you are on the east coast, I would recommend St Andrews and the roads there are great.

• Hi Guys,
    We landed in Scotland last night on a ferry from Belfast loaded with a few hundred crazed race fans on bikes! That was fun, it was like a LeMans start getting off the boat!
    Simone... we usually only plan 1 day at a time. Today we'll ride up through Galloway Forest and end up in Ardrossan. It looks like it could be hard to find accomodations as we go... not to mention I may have to sell a kidney to afford them.... so that may well determine our route....just places no one else wants to go, so we can book a room.
    We are planning Aran and then on to Tighnabruaich the next night. After that we'll have to see. I think the bank holiday weekend is going to be a problem.
    Throttled, that's very cool and I hope you had a good time as a lad over there. That's probably a given. Cape Cod is OK but kind of crowded. The best Beaches are in Rhode Island. :)
    Cheers!
    Rhode Trip

• You may find the Visit Scotland website useful for finding accommodation, especially for smaller places. If you use booking dot com then call the b&b direct, you may save money as they (booking dot com) charge 15% commission. Do not go to Skye without booking accommodation first.

Watch out for feckin' camper vans, they are the cows of the road, stupid, slow moving, yet remarkably dangerous. :D

• You may find the Visit Scotland website useful for finding accommodation, especially for smaller places. If you use booking dot com then call the b&b direct, you may save money as they (booking dot com) charge 15% commission. Do not go to Skye without booking accommodation first.

Watch out for feckin' camper vans, they are the cows of the road, stupid, slow moving, yet remarkably dangerous. :D

Thanks for that suggestion Three Dawg. VisitScotland.com does seem to have more on offer. Still tough though. I have booked an AirBnB for the weekend at Loch Ness. We'll see how that goes. 3 days is a lot for us to stay in one spot.
    Re: camper vans... we are stupid and slow moving too, so they are not that much of a problem. Some times they pass us. :-[
    PS. Met 3 gentlemen on one of the ferries riding vintage Simpson 50cc bikes.

• Thursday / Friday / Saturday / Sunday this week , you are welcome to head over to Sunart Camping , Strontian ... And crash our Forum Rally (if you have a tent you can stay the night)

Rubber side down

Craig

Thanks very much for the offer, Craig. I wish we'd brought camping gear, what with the perfect weather and the lodging woes. Its a lot to lug around though.
    We will pass near Strontian today on our way to Fort William. If time allows, we will drop by to say hello. We're in Oban now, and it looks like a nicer ride to hop over to Mull, then up to and around Loch Eil.
    Thanks!
    Jim and Lynn Clift

• Thanks for that suggestion Three Dawg. VisitScotland.com does seem to have more on offer. Still tough though. I have booked an AirBnB for the weekend at Loch Ness. We'll see how that goes. 3 days is a lot for us to stay in one spot.
    Re: camper vans... we are stupid and slow moving too, so they are not that much of a problem. Some times they pass us. :-[
    PS. Met 3 gentlemen on one of the ferries riding vintage Simpson 50cc bikes.

Well it's pretty easy to get to most parts of northern Scotland from the Loch Ness area so three days won't be too bad. Nice not to have haul all your gear around too for that time. Try to get over to the Black Isle (not black and not an island) just north of Inverness- lots to see there and easy to whizz by. Try the Undiscovered Scotland https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ for tips.

• Hi Rhode Trip.

Craig and I spotted you on Thursday as you travelled towards Fort William from the Glen Finnan viaduct direction.

Shame we missed you at Strontian.

Save riding

Steve T

8)

"A bad writer wastes time. A good writer bends time" - Dan Walsh

Edited once, last by Steve T ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!