Author Topic: Ormidale Byway  (Read 121 times)

Offline GM7DHA

Ormidale Byway
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
I found this road about 3 months ago when bikepacking following the Wild About Argyll route. When I did it there was a sign up saying "Public Byway, Open to All Traffic". It appears the sign has gone (can see the posts still standing where it was on my photo) and a "Kilfinan Community Forest" sign erected; however, all the 15mph and Give Way signs are still there, plus, at Ormidale side there's no No Entry signs or restrictions. There was also still cars up at the reservoir for fishing etc.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R0oPp8AYGJ5_A2uWavc86V7-0DWsEqtS -- I've renamed my photos for some clarity.

Cracking 9 mile (approx) road all the same and it is a bit gnarly with really large "chucky" rocks with great views down into the valley as you reach Ormidale side.

You'll notice I got lost in the Leacainn Muir Forest Drive road! I'll have to revisit sometime soon.

The whole route was fantastic, the B8000 is great, as is the B839/B828 combo, and the A814 isn't bad either. Great route for the CRF250 Rally.

Anyway, I need to see if there are any other roads that are open to traffic that the Forestry Commission haven't promoted as Forest Drives.. I can see why they haven't included that road as it does get a bit too gnarly for anything lesser than a 4x4 with good ground clearance.

Cheers,
Kev.

Offline LargeWayRound

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner / Transalp Modifier / Founding Member
Re: Ormidale Byway
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 20:24:45 PM »
Nice one Kev
“Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.”