Author Topic: 2019 trip to Ireland  (Read 95 times)

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
2019 trip to Ireland
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
With the new Tracer had its first service last Wednesday, five of us set off to Ireland on Friday morning.
It lashed rain all the way to Cairnryan.
It rained hard and sun shone very intermittently, on our route from Larne heading north and west.
Heading along the Antrim coast road we came upon stopped traffic and lots of emergency services.
A car off the road, in the woods ( through a wall) BUT no sign of the driver.
Search was underway and the heat seeking Heli was en route.
Unfortunately no nearby way around the problem, time wearing on, the decision was made to back track south to take the fastest route across to Londonderry to get back on our route to Rossnakill.

Obviously it was still raining hard but intermittently although it turned steady torrential as we got on the were roads to our overnight stop.
Rossnakill, Country Roads Inn --- full of character, don't expect a sophisticated stopover but very very friendly.
We were off to bed before midnight but mine-host closed up at 04.30 and was up for our breakfast at 08.30.
Saturday we set off for Castlebar , in the rain. Lots of quite nice looking places were seen through a watery haze. The Royal Hotel in Castlebar was quite up market in a nice town.
Sunday we travelled down the coast route through Clifden and the rest, in the heavy rain, to our Hotel in Portlaoise--O' Loughlin's. A decent "commercial" type hotel
Notably the hair dryers kept working whilst attempts were made by some to dry gloves and boots.
Monday it was off north to Belfast for the ferry home and ----- it was nearly dry all the way home.
I have (I think) two photos and one of them was Dougie eating an enormous slice of carrot cake someplace we stopped.---- So don't wait on the pictorial support to the story.
Not surprisingly the bike was manky when I cleaned it this morning --- but no beasties on the screen !!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 16:30:15 PM by flyfifer »

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
Re: 2019 trip to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 18:36:44 PM »
and as promised the meagre two pics

Anticipating a wet weekend, waiting to board the ferry at Cairnryan.

The twa Dougies --- and my slice of carrot cake. When the carrot cake slices were delivered, the thought was one would have done all five of us.