Author Topic: Headlight bulbs  (Read 114 times)

Offline ian

Headlight bulbs
« on: August 18, 2019, 23:44:25 PM »
What headlight bulb would you recommend for maximum brightness at night? I bought a couple of Night Eye h7 Led bulbs to try, not bad during the day in the dip for dazzling four wheel drivers into seeing you but crap at night. So any suggestions I'm not bothered about them being road legal as long as they are bright.

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
Re: Headlight bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:10:22 AM »
How about some auxilliary lights?  I have HID50 converted Hellas on my GS  (two micro DE fogs and two FF50 spots) and the firepower is epic, but modern led lights (Cleawater for example) have all the lumens without loads of extra hardware.  Bright lights in your main beams esp. dipped just piss off cage drivers and you end up getting flashed at night (I rode an 1150 up the A9 one night with an HID in the dip and clearly annoyed lots of oncoming vehicles)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 15:23:23 PM by Three Dawg »
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline Steve T

• Founding Member
  • Compulsive Farkler, but still learning from LWR ;-
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 16:34:31 PM »
I've used Osram Night Breakers, or something that sounds like that, in the past and they give off a good light and are brighter in a slightly different colour, making them more noticable during the day.

The Transalp 600 has an abismal headlight, so if I end up using it during the darker months, I'll be fitting an Osram to it. I have fitted an LED side light to the bike which is very noticable during the day, due to the blueish light it gives off.

As Three Dawg says, aux lights are they proper way to go for better vis both night & day. Search this site for the ones Craig fitted ages ago - I got a set 2 months ago for the F8GS and whilst i haven't tried them out in darkness, in daylight they certainly get you noticed. Neil has just got a set for his Multistrada as well.

Steve T

8)
"A bad writer wastes time. A good writer bends time"

Dan Walsh

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 20:01:22 PM »
POWER!!!  The lights, not the engine obviously.  But by gum it took some time to figure out where to put all the ignitors and ballasts.

Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0