Author Topic: Preparations for another longish trip  (Read 550 times)

Offline LargeWayRound

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner / Transalp Modifier / Founding Member
Re: Preparations for another longish trip
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 19:55:51 PM »
Excellent stuff ! Three Dog

“Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.”

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 17:23:52 PM »
Well that was a lot of fannying around just to get the gear indicator thingy working again.

Switch fitted in position with A4 stainless allen bolts (Coppaslipped, of course)

Grease the splines (the Americans really have a thing about this) and pop the shaft and swingarm back on.  I hope I've got the gaiter fitted properly, it's very difficult to tell.  I suppose the thing to do would be to take it out in the wet then pull off the rear gaiter and see if anything comes out. :o

This neat cutaway socket and stubby hex key allows me to counterhold the pivot while I apply 105NM to the lock nut.

Mark the locknuts so you can check everything is as you set it.

Put a rag under the shaft when refitting the bevel - makes it easier, but remember to take it out after!

And back together!  Wish I had a ramp, all this grubbing around on the floor isn't very dignified.

Ta-daah!

Don't think there is too much more to do other than change the oil and filter and put on new tyres.  I've decided on a combo of Mitas E-07 Plus on the rear and Conti TKC80 on the front because the Mitas Plus front isn't available in my size.  Should last the trip and it will be interesting to see if the knobbliest combo I've ever used makes up for my lack of talent when the going gets rough...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 17:37:11 PM by Three Dawg »
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 14:43:58 PM »
A short spin today to make sure that everything is OK, and I'm happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised by the hearthrug-on-the-seat sheepy cover I made.  A noticable improvement and quite a bit warmer around the bum area even through the Cordura.  So far well worth the effort - just need to get out on a longer run to see how it fares.
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 15:19:49 PM »
Unfortunately we are quite likely to  find ourselves dicing with maniac drivers in Landcruisers along the way (it's a Latin macho thing apparently and you need a strategy to get past cos they will try to block you) so I will be using my headlight shield.  The old one has suffered a bit, so I got myself a piece of 4mm acrylic sheet and fashioned another one.   £4.50 to you squire plus a bit of filing. ;D

Old:

New  (bugs are on the light...):

Wonder if there is some way of making tear-offs to try to preserve the clear finish?

Just had quotes for getting the thing to Heathrow in a van - blimey, it's expensive!  I'll never be able to afford one of those fancy 1250s at this rate!

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 12:48:33 PM »
Chunky tyres are FINALLY here.  Why we have to put up with workarounds for stupid companies who won't post to 'remote' areas like Inverness (road, rail and airport connections...) is a bloody mystery to me.  Anyway, Tyreleader, you can shove it.

I dunno if these will make up for my pathetic riding ability, but with this much tread at least I'll know for sure why I can't ride in sand. ;D

TKC80 and Mitas E-07+

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 13:26:09 PM by Three Dawg »