Author Topic: Orkney - Advice  (Read 115 times)

Offline rh_scotland

• Yamaha XT1200Z
Orkney - Advice
« on: June 12, 2019, 21:13:03 PM »
Looking to head to Orkney in early 2020.  Beginning of May or end of June. Not sure yet.

Know where I'm kipping in Kirkwall. Intending to stay on 'mainland' and a wee hurl round Hoy.

Is Hoy ferry turn up & ride on?

Any recommended route.

Places not to be missed, already have a list started. But no shortcut to local or prior knowledge.

TIA
Not all who wander are lost...

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
Re: Orkney - Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »
Maybe the first thing to note is that the visitor centre on Hoy is undergoing a major upgrade. The new centre is due to open in 2020 but exactly when as with all major projects might drift.
Best check that out if Hoy is a major part of your plan.
The WW stuff is currently on display in Lyness hotel and I guess it is pretty limited.

Offline Paul l

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 22:42:38 PM »
From what I remember when I was there is that the Stromness - Hoy ferry is passenger only.
And I thought Rackwick village was interesting - the size of the roof stones is huge

Paul

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
There is a ferry that runs from Houton which I understand takes vehicles.

I did not intend going to Hoy this year but I had a look at the pedestrian option (as well as the houton ferry) --there is a bus from the ferry but probably more usefull there are private tours with pick up from the ferry.
A tour might not of course spend as much time at any given place as you would like.

However you cross to Hoy you are there for the day. The new 2020 visitor centre will allegedlly have good left "baggage" facilities --- i emailed the project manager to ask ref facilities for leaving bike gear and got a positive response.