Author Topic: Advice on routes....  (Read 451 times)

Offline rh_scotland

• Yamaha XT1200Z
Advice on routes....
« on: April 08, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
Hi I am RH and I am a MAP ADDICT

But, there is a bit of a gap in my knowledge of roads, things to see, places not to be missed.

I am leaving Applecross and will finish the day at Braemar.

Taking the coast road to Shieldaig (one of my absolute favourites) and on to Kinlochewe then over to Garve.

What I am after are roads/routes from Inverness in the general direction of Burghead, Lossie and then down towards the distilleries of Dufftown, Aberlour etc.  Ultimately coming down to the junction at Colnabaichin and on down to Braemar.

East of the A939 I have very little knowledge.

Any suggested roads that cant be missed, amazing views, coffee stops, biker friendly grub stops (doesnt need to be fancy, square in a roll or egg banjo more than suitable) or a general route leading to Braemar, would be warmly welcomed.

TIA
Not all who wander are lost...

Offline LargeWayRound

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner / Transalp Modifier / Founding Member
Re: Advice on routes....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »
Fire Station Cafe at Tomintool is biker friendly and food is ok , coffee is instant . A bit overpriced as well .

Better holding on and stopping off at Goodbrand & Ross which is situated in Corgaff after taking in the views crossing the Lecht.
Coffee is proper espresso machine and bacon rolls are very good , inside or outside seating and gift shop.
We usually go there they are friendly to bikers as well .

Then keep following the A939 over the Gairnsheil Bridge at the bridge take the turn off to Braemar A976 over the hill . (Awesome views from the top)

When in Braemar head through the village and take the past the shops etc and take the small road to Linn of Dee .
Dead end road but some lovely views along the road .

If your heading back over Glen Shee A93 , the cafe at the chair lift is quite good , Coffee again is excellent , food is acceptable . Biker friendly

“Rule #1 of life. Do what makes YOU happy.”

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:46:56 AM »
From Garve  stay on the A835 to Contin, then about a mile out of the village turn right to Marybank and Muir of Ord on the A862.  After Beauly (Corner on the Square  does a good coffee and panini) you're into Inverness.  You are making for the A939 towards Grantown over Dava Moor.  I'd do a short hop onto the A9 and come off at the exit that leads to Culloden Battlefield - the B9006 and B9090.  It's a cracking run over the moors to Grantown, and you will avoid most of the A9/A96 horror.

At Grantown you can decide wether to pick up the road to Tomintoul or head east on the A95 towards Dufftown and then cut south.  Personally I'd go through Tomintoul, agree with LWR re cafe choices.
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline ian

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 13:13:43 PM »
I always suggest taking Diabaig in when doing the Applecross loop, turn into Torridon and follow the North shore round then over the Bealach Na Gaoithe, a braw wee road. There's now a restaurant-cafe in Lower Diabaig that makes a change from the Applecross Inn for lunch. It's only an extra 18 miles on to the loop but well worth it for the views.

Offline Steve T

• Founding Member
  • Compulsive Farkler, but still learning from LWR ;-
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 18:58:13 PM »
Agree with all of the above - especially the Goodbrand & Ross cafe recommendation.

Attached is my take on a route to Braemar

Steve T

8)
"A bad writer wastes time. A good writer bends time"

Dan Walsh

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 19:03:35 PM »
On the food topic , the cafe in Braemar that is part of the outdoor shop is excellent. Opposite side of the road from the wee car park.
The "greasy spoon" place , opposite, where the bikes park up is not a good option.
The baker's shop in Grantown on Spey has a good cafe and take out service. Opposite side of the road from the Main Co-op.

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 19:07:27 PM »
Re a route. Stay off the A96, use the "parallel" roads past Culloden and Cawdor --- if you are heading Elgin direction.