Author Topic: Master Cylinder "size"  (Read 566 times)

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
Master Cylinder "size"
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
For all you folks who are constantly rebuilding their bikes here is a thread that might tickle your fancy ----

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,25275.msg279389/topicseen.html#new

Offline Steve T

• Founding Member
  • Compulsive Farkler, but still learning from LWR ;-
Re: Master Cylinder "size"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 19:00:31 PM »
I'd have thought that the manufacturers have given a lot of thought and many, many hours of very intellectually empowered time to getting the size of a bikes master cyclinder just right for the baike they were developing.

BUT . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . there is always some numbnuts that thinks he's better at developing braking systems than the people that actually do it for a living.

Still, heres hoping that his pinky doesn't squeeze just a bit too hard and he ends up with his head up some sacred cows arse. Then again, he seems to have his head up his own, so he might just be used to the situation  ::)  ;)  ;D

Steve T

8)
"A bad writer wastes time. A good writer bends time"

Dan Walsh

Offline outrunner

• Nae soup spilt here!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 19:16:16 PM »
Now then Steve, don't be holding back on your opinions.  ;) Having read the thread myself the other day I also formed the opinion that the guy really has no idea what he is talking about, enough said methinks.  :)

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 19:28:03 PM »
 8) conversely I had an Aprillia Mille (new) that the back brake would not hold the bike on a modest slope.
It had a 12mm dia. cylinder; there was also sorts of stuff about it cooking the fluid because it was near the exhaust.
Fitted a 13.5 dia cylinder  --- job done !
( I realise that is the opposite to what boyo was suggesting ---!!)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 21:16:53 PM by flyfifer »

Offline BIG D

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 22:20:28 PM »
I'd have thought that the manufacturers have given a lot of thought and many, many hours of very intellectually empowered time to getting the size of a bikes master cyclinder just right for the baike they were developing.

BUT . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . there is always some numbnuts that thinks he's better at developing braking systems than the people that actually do it for a living.

Still, heres hoping that his pinky doesn't squeeze just a bit too hard and he ends up with his head up some sacred cows arse. Then again, he seems to have his head up his own, so he might just be used to the situation  ::)  ;)  ;D

Steve T

8)
Quite right Steve  ;D they also have to pass some stringent tests like the TUV, you can see the future it will be like the no tamper carbs and a MOT failure for messing with standard braking and insurance problems, and with the advent of ABS it would throw up all sorts of issues like the computor giving fault codes.

Dont know what he's moaning about how many of us old gits remember DRUM brakes, the delights of a twin leading shoe up front and single leading on the rear, it was not when you stopped but "IF"  ;D

BIG D