Author Topic: National Rally of Scotland 2018  (Read 2988 times)

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
Re: National Rally of Scotland 2018
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
My route if the forecast stays as it is:

OK, RP 'U' is a new one of my own devising, but after about 15 years of asking and they still haven't included Gairloch I've taken matters into my own hands.

Ian, are you going to be there on Sunday or are you planning to finish in one go?
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 17:24:28 PM »
Richard,
Our intentions for finishing are currently fluid; I have been checking out hostel bed availability from Ft Augustus south, tents as a back stop might still figure --or we might just try to finish and home on "Saturday".
Regardless I don't see us hanging around on the Sunday morning at Luib.

We are overnighting on Friday, in Wick, so are close to our Saturday start point. It frustrates me a bit having to hang around to 10.00 to start loosing nearly four hours daylight but them's the rooles.

Our route is -----

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 17:52:14 PM »
Blimey, there's posh!  Wish I could start somewhere else, but I have to finish serving our lovely guests their breakfasts, so I struggle to make it to the first RP (nearly always Evanton, Nairn or Aviemore) before 10.

If they lay on the coffee and croissants at the Luib we'll stay a while (I expect to see at least half a dozen on Laverdas or ILOC members at the finish so a good reason to stay) then I'll make the most of the return trip north by heading over to Pitlochry and then up via Braemar and the Lecht to home.

Have a great ride and keep those receipts safe!
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 18:38:42 PM »
Where are you over night in Saturday ?

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 18:56:31 PM »
At the Inn at Ardgour, just over the Corran ferry.  Four of us in one room, loooxury! ;D

Offline sofnolime

• Founding Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 19:55:43 PM »
Work has got in the way, I'll not be doing this this year...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Web - www.twtc.co.uk
Flickr albums - www.flickr.com/photos/13885957@N04/albums

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 15:08:31 PM »
Here's my mate Nick's report on the NRS.  At least he used an adventure bike of sorts ;D

The problems he refers to with my bike were due to me swapping the battery for an old one out of my GS which was to feeble to start a stone cold engine.  The actual problem was a dodgy feed to the ignition and a less than brilliant connection at one of the coils.  All sorted now.

https://alcocknick.wordpress.com/trips/

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
Well the organisers seem to have accepted my argument for including the Gairloch loop in the run as my 'Merit' certificate arrived today.  70 entered the rally, 54 finished, 6 of those were Laverdas. ;D

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »
 ;) Funnily enuff, my Rally buddy commented yesterday about the paperwork returns.
I am now excited mine might appear in today's post.

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
 :D Dougie and me finally got our Highlander awards this morning.
I googled the Rally (again) and still the only thing that comes up is ThreeDawg's thread on here.

Online Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 13:10:56 PM »
Well done!  Now all you have to do is fill in your own name on the certificate! ;D

They've been asking how to promote the event for some time and I did give them some ideas, virtually none of which they've acted upon.  They're a bunch of old farts clattering around on 1950s antiques who haven't changed the event in 30 years, never mind embraced digital media - they can't even be bothered to sort out new checkpoints to replace ones that have closed.

I was slightly puzzled to be asked if I had permission for my 'off piste' Gairloch RP - why would they care if they had to give out a few reciepts for people buying a kitkat instead of 30 quids worth of fuel?

My mate Nick (the one with the scrofulous Laverda Atlas) loves the ramshackle nature of the event - I think it matches his attitude to motorcycle maintenance.

Still, it is just about the only event of its type north of the border so I'll probably be back next year....

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »
 ??? When you commented about filling in your own name on the Challenge Certificate I never really gave it an thought until -----
Being a bit dreich this week I set to a bit of Bike Admin.
The Rally paperwork was a bit scattered so whilst tidying I saw what you meant -- blank where the "Entrant's Name" should be ! Obviously too onerous for the Organisers to complete.
(My pal Dougie sent me a pic of his on the day he got it; it had his name filled in --- he must have got an Adult to do it 😊).
Anyway --- with Challenge info to hand I have mapped out a possible one day attempt on the Skye Mull Arran challenge.
Which got me thinking about a proper Island Challenge ---- so a few hours later a Skye, Harris//Lewis, Orkney challenge was created.
Emailed it off to mrpate for his perusal --- I await a slow response !
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:16:43 PM by flyfifer »