Author Topic: Packing tents.  (Read 760 times)

Offline Throttled

Packing tents.
« on: June 06, 2018, 20:46:12 PM »
I have three tents and lots of camping gear and decided to day to do a big sort out. One job was to actually pack the tents away properly. I have been using dry bags that I can just shove the tent into, along with other bits and pieces. That makes packing away at a campsite easy and quick, especially if every thing is wet.

Vango Banshee 200. I cannot for the life of me get it back into its bag and gave up and left the poles out. At least it has a good sized strap thing so I can tie the pole bag to the main bag. The zipper was hard to get closed.

ProAction Asgard 3 man tent. I got it back in, but cannot understand how the zip/seams do not just split apart. I had to be very precise folding the tent and had to apply a lot of pressure to force it in and close the zip.

Vango Stelvio 200. Easiest of the lot, the bag is easily big enough that you do not need to be too precise when folding and it just stuffed in like a sleeping bag. The closure is a fold with clips, like a dry bag. I can they lie on it, which forces air out and use the two compression straps to keep it compact.

The result was that whilst the Stelvio is the slowest to pitch due to size, poles, number of tent pegs etc, it is the fastest and least frustrating to pack. I suspect that to strike and pack each tent takes about the same time, because the two smaller tents take so much time to pack.

I think after that lot, I will go back to just stuffing them into dry bags! 

Offline outrunner

• Nae soup spilt here!
Re: Packing tents.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
I have a Vango Banshee 300 and it goes in the bag with the poles and pegs without any problem, I just fold it using the poles as a guide for width and then roll it up with the poles and pegs inside.

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline Throttled

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
Is it a zip bag or roll top stuff bag?

Offline outrunner

• Nae soup spilt here!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 19:24:50 PM »
It's like a stuff sack and you just roll up the tent and pull the sack over it, easy peasy.  :)

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline Throttled

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 20:23:04 PM »
Something else I usually do not bother to do when packing a tent is to separate the inner and outer parts. They just get folded up together.

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 22:16:45 PM »
 :o I just dinnae ken how some folk get along at a'.
A long time ago I decided that a lot of greetin  about tent poles failing was because of careless packing and pulling down ROK Straps, HARD.
So my tent poles now live in wee lengths of Alumni tube ex eBay ( the tubes get lots of holes drilled in them to reduce weight). Tent inners go in compression bags and outers go in the original bags.
That not then go in a Dry Bag and get well and truly pulled down with ROK Straps.
When in the loft they live in nice spacious bags.

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 22:45:54 PM »
Eh?  Tubes for tubes? Fannying about separating inner and outers?  Get a firm grip and roll the bugger good and tight with the tent poles and pegs.  Putting it in the bag is sometimes like trying to fit a condom on an elephant, but it all fits.  Robens Voyager 3EX.

Ditched Rokstraps years ago too.  They're stretchy and loads can shift, especially when the road is tough.   I just buy strapping and buckles and cut to the right length.

Wouldn't rely on any sort of zip.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:13:57 AM by Three Dawg »
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0

Offline flyfifer

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 15:59:49 PM »
ROK Straps being stretchy is the whole point of the design --- work for me !
Ephalants and Condoms ---- mmm !
I too make up webbing straps with side- lock clips but its Horses for courses !
At least we concur on zip integrity !

Offline Three Dawg

• Into Africa.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 16:37:40 PM »
Ephalants and Condoms ---- mmm !

Yeah, sorry for putting that image out there - I am one sick puppy. ::)

At least we concur on zip integrity !

Yeah, don't even have any on my panniers.

You're right of course, all luggage setups, straps, whatever, evolve to personal choiuce and circumstances.   One of the most efective things I ever came up with was a side lock clip and a short piece of webbing attached to the right hand side of my rack and another attached to a D ring on my Wolfman bag - you can see it's the yellow one behind the indicator.  Before that the crap on the rack used to drive me mental slipping to the left, I guess from the bike leaning on the sidestand

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 16:40:19 PM by Three Dawg »
Mr and Mrs 3 Dawg's African Adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0